[AusNOG] Windows Virus people [slightly OT]

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Thu Sep 22 16:02:53 EST 2011

On 22Sep11, Don Gould allegedly wrote:

> In the new NBN world, where everything is going to be SIP, it seems that
> we're going to have to start to pay more attention to this stuff?

Not sure it's an NBN thing directly, but as the cost of international
voice calls approaches zero (as it should and will) then scammers will
take advantage of it as much as they have long done with
close-to-zero-cost email.

It's purely business economics on their part.

But sadly you are right, the Internet yet again provides a
cost-effective avenue for scammers to show up at your door-step with
legal impunity.

In effect, we're about to re-live the spam-wars of the last couple of
decades in phone-space. Time to re-warn my grandmother...

Mark.