[AusNOG] Network Visualisation Tools, favourites?

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+ausnog at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:45:29 EST 2011

Hi all,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Ivan Jukic <ijukic13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, diagramming tools most definitely have their place. It is much
> quicker to map the design once you are happy with it  than compared to a
> pencil and pad.

Moving slightly away from the topic of active network visualisation..

One of the guys I work with has a great setup based on a Wacom tablet
and Microsoft OneNote. It's not exactly mobile but I'm sure there are
options out there to make it so. Obviously it wouldn't have to be
OneNote either -- that's just his weapon of choice.

This allows him to capture tidbits of information, screen grabs from
data sheets/whatever, mock up quick diagrams and have it all available
in a single "pannable" interface. When it's time to cut a "proper"
diagram, he takes the sketch and uses diagramming-app-of-choice.

I'm slightly less organised - I start with paper and then use Visio
when required. I quite like Visio but there are definitely times when
it makes me want to put my fist through the monitor ;-)

cheers,
Dale