[AusNOG] NBN Battery backups
PChilds at internode.com.au
Wed Oct 12 13:56:12 EST 2011
'Responsible' -- see Adults, who are typically responsible for their emotional, physical, and other well being
(*1 -- unless they wish to abdicate this to a government or corporate organisation, typically in exchange for some benefit and/or payment and/or some slavery arrangement)
'Clueless' - totally uninformed about what is going on; not having even a clue from which to infer what is occurring
(*1 -- see also pretty much any and all discussions related to the nbn - especially anything to do with batteries, grandmas, and 'emergencies')
End Product -- I figure it might be something like this .... https://picasaweb.google.com/pjchilds/BatteryBackupPSU
On 12/10/2011, at 6:34 AM, Don Gould wrote:
Yes. Every question that has been raised on this operational list in this topic has been well covered already on Whirlpool in the threads I linked above.
To save you busy people reading the 600 posts on the issue:
* From what we can tell the power monitoring features of the CybrePower  units, used in TAS, were not connected to the NEC ONTs, so can't be monitored.
* The CybrePower units don't monitor battery condition to any sort of acceptable level, only total failure and low power(ish - as we all know what that means).
* The CybrePower units used in TAS will not be the end solution anyway.
* No one knows how the monitoring will work. There have been rumours but nothing public facing of any technical standard has been presented in the 600 posts on WP.
* As we don't know what the end product even is, we can't yet say what battery it will take or what it will cost the end user. We did figure it out for the CybrePower unit (~$20 to $35 depending on supplier).
* Battery will only last 4 hours (so it will be dead by breakfast).
* NBNCo are saying 'it's a government policy issue', Govt are saying 'NBNCo will sort it...' - smoke and mirrors.
* People are suggesting the copper network could be used to provide back up power. (yes I can see some of you just spat out coffee and some cringed).
Ok, for the rest you can start at page 1 on WP. :)
On 12/10/2011 2:32 a.m., Peter Childs wrote:
Perhaps we could all continue this discussion on the Whirlpool NBN forum where all good discussions about NBN battery backup on ONT live?
AusNOG mailing list
AusNOG at lists.ausnog.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the AusNOG