[AusNOG] NBN Battery backups

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Wed Oct 12 07:04:13 EST 2011

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?action=threads_search&f=142&q=battery

Yes.  Every question that has been raised on this operational list in
this topic has been well covered already on Whirlpool in the threads I
linked above.

To save you busy people reading the 600 posts on the issue:

* From what we can tell the power monitoring features of the CybrePower
[1] units, used in TAS, were not connected to the NEC ONTs, so can't be
monitored.
* The CybrePower units don't monitor battery condition to any sort of
acceptable level, only total failure and low power(ish - as we all know
what that means).
* The CybrePower units used in TAS will not be the end solution anyway.
* No one knows how the monitoring will work.  There have been rumours
but nothing public facing of any technical standard has been presented
in the 600 posts on WP.
* As we don't know what the end product even is, we can't yet say what
battery it will take or what it will cost the end user.  We did figure
it out for the CybrePower unit (~$20 to $35 depending on supplier).
* Battery will only last 4 hours (so it will be dead by breakfast).
* NBNCo are saying 'it's a government policy issue', Govt are saying
'NBNCo will sort it...' - smoke and mirrors.
* People are suggesting the copper network could be used to provide back
up power. (yes I can see some of you just spat out coffee and some cringed).

Ok, for the rest you can start at page 1 on WP. :)

HtH

[1]
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/telecom-equipment/cs24u12v.html