[AusNOG] [off topic] AUSNOG's "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" :)

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+ausnog at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 07:49:17 EST 2011

Hi Bevan,

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Bevan Slattery
<Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com> wrote:

> Just wanting peoples thoughts/experiences  so we maybe able to keep some
> stocks "in case of emergency".  Happy for people to respond off-list to
> reduce traffic but really wanted to make sure we think of most of the
> annoying little things.

- USB to serial adapters
- DB9 to RJ45 adapters
- RJ45 to RJ45 straight-through and x-over adapters
- Cat5/Cat6 RJ45-RJ45 straight-through and x-over patch leads (various
lengths, maybe one or two mega ones)
- MMOF and SMOF SC-SC, SC-LC, LC-LC patch leads (various lengths)
- Power boards (with both AS/NZS 3112, and IEC/C13 connectors for
plugging into rack PDUs)
- IEC/C13 to AS/NZS 3112 adapter (for plugging laptops with dying
batteries into rack PDUs)
- Set of small ("precision") phillips and hex/torx/tx screwdrivers
- Stanley knife, side cutters, small pliers
- Roll of velcro (don't bother with the more expensive pre-cut pieces,
since this is an emergency supply)
- NEXTDC branded polar fleece vests to stop overworked/ill-prepared
techies from dying of hypothermia after a longer-than-expected
troubleshooting session

cheers,
Dale