[AusNOG] SPAM-LOW: Pipe peering issue - Equinix

Matt Whitlock matt.whitlock at pipeinternational.com
Tue Nov 15 10:53:12 EST 2011

Hi Jared,

Just letting you know that I've sent you an off-list response.

Ta,

Matt.

Jared wrote:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the Info, would have been good to have this in my ticket
though... I am still waiting for a reply on a few questions, in summary
they are below.

Why did it take 3 hours to shut down the offending port? I called the
NOC 1 hour after it started, got put through to a messaging service and
I only received a call back 2 hours later, I also submitted a ticket to
which I received a reply 2 hours later also.

I was not too concerned that it had happened, as these things do happen,
but the inability to contact someone at PIPE to notify them of the issue
is a larger concern to me.

Last time this happened it started at 2am again, but I shut our port
down and waited till morning to see if PIPE resolved it but they hadn't,
so I called up 5 hours later and someone answered and had NO idea it was
happening, he placed me on hold, had a look and then said to me that
they can see an issue. Within minutes the issue was fixed. I'm not
trying to cause a stir here, but the process / escalation of your
monitoring really needs to be looked at. As many have said this is the
5th or 6th time it has happened, and EVERYTIME I have called your NOC
and they have not been aware of the issue. As stated above, I am still
yet to receive a response from my open ticket as to the issue.

Kindest Regards,
Jared Hirst

Servers Australia Pty Ltd

Direct:                   (02) 4307 4205
Fax:                        (02) 4307 4201
Network Ops:        (02) 9037 4343
Web:                      http://www.serversaustralia.com.au
<http://www.serversaustralia.com.au/>
Office Address:    2/2 Teamster Close, Tuggerah NSW 2259
Postal Address:    PO Box 3187, Tuggerah NSW 2259