[AusNOG] Routing in NX-OS vs IOS

Ben Byer ben.byer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:51:15 EST 2011

G'day folks,

I've been playing with the layer 3 capabilities of NX-OS on the 5k series,
and I'm seeing both the pros and the cons. I've been picking through the
reference docs, and the useful comparison notes on the Cisco wiki, but - I
just don't understand the thinking behind the following:

"When you change a route map, Cisco NX-OS hold all the changes until you
exit from the route- map configuration submode. Cisco NX-OS then sends all
the changes to the protocol clients to take effect."
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/unicast/5_0_3_N1_1/l3_rpm.html#wp1071253

....but wait!  I have multiple protocol clients using the same route-map -
and maybe I *don't* want the change to be propagated to all of them at once
as soon as I type "exit".  The way IOS allows you to change a route-map,
then cause it to take effect on a per-peer basis via a soft clear, is
operationally *useful*.

To make it worse, the reference docs for the 7k series say:

"If you make changes to a route map that is used by a client, you must exit
the route-map configuration submode before the changes take effect in the
client. The route-map changes are not propagated to its clients until you
exit from the route-map configuration submode or 60 seconds expires since
entering the submode."
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/unicast/command/reference/l3_cmds_r.html#wp1542709

...great - so now whether or not I type "exit", 60 seconds after I typed a
command it will take effect...?  And this behaviour is documented only for
the 7k, not the 5k?

Does anyone on this list have any idea of the thinking behind the above?
 It looks to me like I'd have to configure ugly per-peer route-maps to
regain the per-peer control I had in IOS - surely not.... does anyone on
this list have operational experience using route-maps, BGP, and NX-OS that
they'd care to share?

Ben