[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

David N ausnog at khetanna.com
Sun May 22 20:33:14 EST 2011

> A) comparing average demand across hundreds or thousands with
> instantaneous demand of individual services is stupid.The average
> person has one tit and one testicle - yet not one person matches the
> average. Video conferencing and other high outbound uses (photo
> galleries etc) need much more symmetry than we have now - 100/2 does
> not cut it.

Point taken on the average...but the median is not significantly far
from the average.

When you look at the figures, as yet there is insufficient end user
demand for upstream speed increases. But when it does come (ie. any of
your examples) then it will be introduced quickly.

There have been too many instances in Australia ISP in the last decade
where Says Law has been disproven. Investing in un-demanded services is
a sure way of losing money.

> B) the technology may support it, but the products do not. Show me the
> DIFFSERV schema for user-generated traffic streams on any DOCSIS
> network in this or any other country.

Sure. Look at any of the packetcable deployments in ANZ. VoIP is marked
as prec 5 and prioritised over HSD. However if you want the operator to
trust user marked traffic then you'll be disappointed.

> C) ditto for ip6. Capability is one thing but operating productis
> another. Can't see open-access wholesale ipv6 available from multiple
> RSPs over HFC technology this decade - happy for you to think
> differently
> --

HFC isn't for wholesale. Don't mix different capabilities into the same
bucket. I know of a handful of MSOs that wholesaled, and the largest (US
MSO with a 10M+ subs) rolled it back. IPv6 I think has been resolved on
list.