[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

Wade Roberts ausnog at acquired-taste.net
Sat May 21 23:22:57 EST 2011

On 2011-05-21, at 19:49, David N wrote:

>> Turnbull et al claim that the DOCSIS3 deployments on Optus and Telstra
>> HFC cables are already delivering 100 Mbps to the home, and so are
>> delivering NBN-compatible services already past 2.something million
>> homes. Again, they ignore the upstream - the 100Mbps HFC cable
>> services are 100/2 - only 1.5 to 2 Mbps upstream, not 40 Mbps upstream
>> that the NBN fibre 100/40 product delivers, and HFC is also not
>> QoS-enabled or IPv6-enabled either - or available wholesale.

Telstra's DOCSIS 3.0 deployment in Melbourne is configured as channel bonded 8x50Mbps (8MHz EuroDOCSIS) downstream channels per service area, compared to Optus who only configured 4x37.5Mbps (6MHz DOCSIS) downstream, however this is across their entire DOCSIS network.

Of the three main (only?) DOCSIS 3.0 deployments on this island, only one is doing upstream bonding, and it isn't either of the above mentioned.

> (a) On an un-congested node average upstream utilisation is < 20Kb/sec
> (ie. users can push more but don't). So what's the business case for
> increasing this today (it can be done simply when needed)?
>
> (b) DOCSIS 1.1 provides QoS. All major DOCSIS networks in ANZ are QOS
> enabled.
>
> (c) D3 supports v6 - I'm sure MMC can quote the MSOs supporting v6 just
> as well as I could. v6 is not deployed on HFC in ANZ for the same reason
> as any other access - who will pay for the change request and updating
> of usage collection systems?

v6 _is_ deployed in AU on a D3 plant, but not advertised as the backend for accounting is missing. Point a DHCPv6 client at the CMTS if you're curious. You can also do v6 with D2.0 if your CMTS and CM vendors can supply code that implements DOCSIS 2.0+IPv6.