[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

David Connors david at codify.com
Sat May 21 17:16:46 EST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Mark Stewart <mark at nabc.com.au> wrote:

> Well that would be the idea but in reality that is rarely ever the case. As
> more bandwidth is supplied the more people have the tendency to use it.

Except there isn't quite the race to the bottom on wireless because the
operators know there are some upper limits on how far they can push things.
Anyway, as I said, the issue is more of a question of sufficiency for
purpose rather than technical merit - and that is the point people are
missing I think.

> The current increasing amounts of quota being given away is to entice
> people away from their current providers as people are getting stung with
> large data charges not to mention putting the boot into Vodafone whilst
> they’re at it.

We're moving into a post-PC world and the use cases for people accessing the
Internet have changed markedly in the past few years thanks to Apple, etc.
There will always be people (like me and probably you) who chomp through a
lot of data  and will have their hand up for their NBN fibre when it rolls
past - at the same time I recognise I am an edge case and more of society
don't use the Internet like that.

Yeah it’s not bad but boy does it suck in Perth CBD. Congestion is shocking
> at times and as you move away from the CBD the better it gets. However I
> also like to point out that speed isn’t always the main issue. You have to
> consider response time as well. Wireless networks suck in this regard and
> what I rather see is better response with moderate speed. Start off at ADSL1
> styled performance with decent response times then move up from there.
> Consistency would be nice too!

I can't speak for Perth but you'll get different speeds depending on your
modem. If you're using one of those white/small USB dongles they max out at
3.6mbps, your phone at probably 7.2 depending on what it is.

As for latency, they're talking 5ms figures for small packets.

Putting that to one side, I don't think my sister or my accountant even know
what latency is.

Yeah that’s not bad but can you follow that up with more demonstrations?

I am sure there is nothing stopping you from having a go. :)

--
*David Connors* | david at codify.com | www.codify.com
Software Engineer