[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

David N ausnog at khetanna.com
Mon May 16 08:47:13 EST 2011

I've been involved with a trial on the mainland and I'm aware of at
least one other trial too.

BPL has a lot of technical smarts borrowed from DOCSIS and DSL, however
they cannot over the big issue - attenuation. Power lines are not
designed for signals over 1Mhz and as such signal quality and link speed
**rapidly** decrease above 50-100m from a repeater. This adversely
affects any business case.

At best I'd classify this a DSL alternative.

This being said there still are a few active deployments worldwide (but
far more have been decommissioned) just google it. IMO the issue is that
a couple of years ago vendors started to pull out of BPL....