[AusNOG] PCH survey on peering

Damien Morris damien at yahoo-inc.com
Thu May 5 10:32:13 EST 2011

Interesting stuff.. Eg:

> Of the total analyzed agreements, 698 (0.49%) were formalized in
> written contracts. The remaining
> 141,512 (99.51%) were ³handshake² agreements

I've been asked about this before as senior management types don't like
"handshake" deals, but my belief that it's a near-100% reality looks
correct.

This also led me to revisit Dan Golding's Donut presentation from 2003
(http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog27/presentations/golding.pdf) with
quotes like:

"Transit prices will rise ­ current pricing is nonsustainable" (in 2003?)

But contains some other interesting truths that have either panned out, or
still could. Food for thought.

Cheers,
Damien.