[AusNOG] Labor backflips again.......

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Mar 26 17:41:05 EST 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:06:13 +1100
Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au> wrote:

> On 24/03/2011 10:03 PM, Glenn Powell wrote:
> > Im still scratching my head as to why the NBN fibre foot print doesn't encompass the
> > ADSL footprint. NBN taking over the copper network for 10yrs and the services
> > running over it (ADSL not just dial tone) just seems to confuse the whole NBN
> > foundation argument.
>
> This seems to be a common misconception - that NBN are taking over the copper network.
> They aren't - the copper network, and the ducts, remain with Telstra.
>
> All the $9billion payment to Telstra does is buy NBNCo an agreement for bulk
> facilities access - duct access and exchange building access - when and where NBN
> needs it, provided Telstra isn't already using the space themselves. Also Telstra's
> agreement to move Telstra's retail services from the copper network to NBN fibre tails
> when the NBN network is ready for it. How Telstra does this, and what they'll do with
> the copper plant once there are no customer services on it, is up to Telstra - they
> still own the copper assets.

So presumably this $9B is a lease payment for duct and facility access
for a defined term, and nothing else. Telstra can't or shouldn't be
compensation for anything else, e.g. ADSL/Cable assets, otherwise other
telcos should also be compensated too. I wonder what the term is. It is
quite astute for Telstra not to sell the ducts etc. to NBNco, so I'd
also not expect them to be silly enough to sign a perpetual lease.

> Thats what was described in the 'heads of agreement' several months ago - whats really
> in the final agreement we won't know until that is revealed to Telstra shareholders.
>

> > Maybe the smart service providers will move their CBD DSLAM equipment from fibre'd
> > areas out to regional areas and draw out another few years of ROI on their capital.
>
> Perhaps - but they'll still be negotiating with Telstra for Telstra exchange space,
> and connecting Telstra copper paits to the DSLAMs, not dealing with NBN Co.

I wonder if there has been a reduction in that across the industry.
I've thought for quite a while now that uncertainty about the greater
NBN situation, and also more specifically their planned roll out
schedule would be creating uncertainty as to whether building out ADSL
(or cable) infrastructure is now enough of a worthwhile investment.