[AusNOG] UK Study shows internet piracy not sole cause of declining music sales

Nathan Eisenberg nathan at atlasnetworks.us
Sat Mar 26 09:09:47 EST 2011

> A different tact, that maybe AFACT could adopt, is to increase
> interest in sales by making music more accessible via the internet.

iTunes has been working on HD, pure digital content for a while, and it wouldn't surprise me if this value play was compelling to a market segment that has been underserved by digital delivery in the past -individuals who value audio fidelity.  Previously, they'd either need to buy their content in physical format, or pirate FLAAC files (and there is sufficient evidence to conclude which route many people will select if presented with this dilemma).  But now, there is a legitimate path to easy, on-demand HD audio content, and I'd wager that many of these individuals will eagerly give Apple their money.

Look at iTunes, Valve, or Battlenet.  Make it easier to buy than to steal, and ensure the value is good for the price, and I think there's evidence that the vast majority of consumers will pay for what they want, if you only let them.

Nathan