[AusNOG] 3G alternate backhaul?

Pinkerton, Eric Eric.Pinkerton at team.telstra.com
Wed Mar 16 15:00:24 EST 2011

Hi Paul,

If you are just talking about data, then the obvious solution would be wifi.  Smartphones that make enough use of data to justify this sort of solution, that do not have wifi must be pretty scarce nowadays?

AT&T sell a Microcell in the states, that goes some way to achieve this, though is locked to their service, and surprise surprise you still get billed for using it! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36973381/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/ so it is possible, though I have not heard of any carriers in Aus offering this sort of service.

My guess would be that you will be blighted with support calls from iphone users, who will probably have to go in and out of flight mode every time they enter or leave your campus.

More to the point, if 'per-handset SIM ACLs' are unfeesable in this instance, how can you ensure that only your users, and not members of the general public end up traversing your link? for this reason alone it is likely that even if you find a solution, the legal/ethical ramifications may be a show stopper.

Look forward to hearing what anyone else has to say.

Eric