[AusNOG] 3G alternate backhaul?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Wed Mar 16 14:06:25 EST 2011

Hi all,

I'm investigating a problem for a client for which we'd like to know
whether it's possible (and economically feasible) to provide a
campus-based 3G base station which would use our Internet backhaul
rather than their carrier's.

In discussions with our mobile carrier we've been told that this is not
possible because they don't sub-lease their spectrum license, and any
access which we provide on our campus must also be available to the
general public who might happen by, unless we do per-handset SIM ACLs
(which is not feasible in this instance).

Are there any alternatives to this?  Is there any product/service
offering on the market which would allow us to provide an alternate
Internet backhaul for 3G devices?

If this is a little too close to the fringes of relevance for AusNOG,
please feel free to tell me to take it elsewhere, or to keep replies
off-list.

Thanks,
Paul