[AusNOG] Amazon: And the winner is (not) Sydney

Stephen Gillies max at 3rdbasenetworks.net.au
Thu Mar 3 12:41:05 EST 2011

On 03/03/11 12:21, Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Alastair Waddell wrote:
>> AWS new region - any insiders know if the long wait for an Aus region might end soon?
>
> I asked an Amazon guy a couple of months back, sounded like Sydney was
> on the shortlist.

My understanding is AWS are hiring locally and given the Federal
government and financial services industry preference for locally hosted
infrastructure surely AWS is coming to a DC near you soon... from their
careers page:

Job ID		130245
Job Title	Regional Sales Manager, Sydney
Job URL		https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/130245/job
Posted Date	02/08/2011 9:26 AM

Position Details

Regional Sales Manager, Sydney
(Located in Sydney, Australia)

[...]

As a Regional Sales Manager you will have the exciting opportunity to
help drive the growth and shape the future of an emerging technology.
Your responsibilities will include driving revenue, adoption, and market
penetration in enterprise accounts.   The ideal candidate will posses
both a sales and technical background that enables them to drive an
engagement at the CXO level as well as with software developers and IT
architects. He/she should also be a self starter who is prepared to
develop and execute against a territory coverage plan and consistently
deliver on quarterly revenue targets.

Max
max at 3rdbasenetworks.net.au