[AusNOG] Australian Suburb and Street Database

David Connors david at codify.com
Tue Mar 1 10:32:55 EST 2011

On 28 February 2011 17:21, Skeeve Stevens <Skeeve at eintellego.net> wrote:

> Just designing a contacts/provisioning system and I'd like to do dynamic
> addressing with user data control.
>
> Is there a source of all the suburbs and all 'official' streets in the
> country?  Is this open data or something you have to pay for?
>
> I'd like to do an ajax thingo where you go backwards, choosing the suburb,
> then only showing streets in that suburb that match… Like a satnav system.
>
> Thanks for the info.

Have a look at Google's geo-related web services and APIs (
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/webservices/). It is
extremely powerful stuff (e.g. you can geocode 15K lat/lon -> street address
or vice versa per day for free).

You won't get a list of all streets in the country from them - but you might
be able to scrub / clean and standardise addresses against their DB using
those APIs.

Check T&Cs for commercial use.

--
*David Connors* | david at codify.com | www.codify.com