[AusNOG] usb -> comm adapter

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Jul 20 17:39:16 EST 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:39:41 +1000
Richard Stephens <r at js8.me> wrote:

> I've always used the UC232A from Aten - a few computer shoes have them, and they have drivers for Windows and OSX - both Intel and PPC - and also Linux.

+1. They use the pl2303 chipset which seems to have been quite widely
used for USB->rs232 adaptors. A grep of "PRODUCT_ID" for the pl2303.h
file in the linux kernel counts 49.

I've also had success with the keyspan adaptors under Linux, so either
of them would do the job if Linux is your OS.

Be a bit wary of the ebay cheapies, I know somebody who had trouble
using one with Cisco Wifi base station console port regardless of flow
control settings (under Windows).