[AusNOG] Hoax calls ?

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 17:55:06 EST 2011

Scamwatch issued a warning about this one 12 mo ago. I suggest you send a
notice to your customers advising them to follow the ACCC advice at
www.scamwatch.gov.au
Telemarketing scam: your computer has a virus!

July 2010: Don’t let a scammer scare you into believing your computer is
infected with a virus or is sending them error messages. Even if the caller
claims to be a representative from Microsoft or another genuine service
provider, you should be very wary of anyone who calls you out of the blue
and tries to trick you into letting them gain remote access to your
computer.

SCAMwatch has heard several variations of this scam, but generally the
caller will claim they suspect your computer is infected and that they need
remote access to check. If you allow them access, they will then pretend to
run a scan and report that your computer is infected. The caller will then
try to convince you to purchase anti-virus software straight away to remove
the infection. The fee may be a one-off payment or an ongoing subscription.

There are many potential dangers. As well as losing money to the scammer by
paying for a service that provides you no benefits, your personal and
banking details are also at risk. If you give a scammer remote access to
your computer, they can cause all sorts of mischief – including infecting
your computer and acquiring your personal information.

If you receive a call like this, just hang up.
etc at:

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/792165

Cheers

Narelle