[AusNOG] optus/telstra 3g frequencies & HWIC

Ryan Finnesey ryan.finnesey at HarrierInvestments.com
Fri Jul 8 13:50:23 EST 2011

Hi Tony

We deployed a series of 800 Series in the States and UK.  There was a
different router for each  network.  It was a bit of a pain to manage
but from a technology  it worked out well.  We have moved away from
cisco to Juniper.  I miss a wireless  HWIC option.

Cheers
Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net
[mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:44 PM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: [AusNOG] optus/telstra 3g frequencies & HWIC

Hi all,

We're looking at wireless backup options, specifically HWIC's in Cisco
routers. The question I have is in regard to the frequencies used by the
providers and the HWIC required. It would appear that Telstra use 850MHz
and Optus use 900MHz (and possibly 2100MHz).

>From the table here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps7272/product
_data_sheet0900aecd80600f41.html

It says that part HWIC-3G-HSPA supports "HSPA: 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz"
and that HWIC-3G-HSPA-G  supports "HSPA: 900, 1900, and 2100 MHz ".

This leads me to the conclusion that I would need to purchase a
different HWIC depending on which provider's network I'm wishing to use
(850 or 900) ?

This seems very annoying to me, because the specs on the PCEX-3G-HSPA-G
modem for the 881G routers says it does all of 850/900/1900/2100 (ie. it
should do both Telstra & Optus with same modem).

Is this correct ? Does anyone have practical experience with this ?

Thanks,
Tony.