[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Jan 31 14:34:19 EST 2011

On 31/01/2011, at 1:42 PM, David Connors wrote:

On 31 January 2011 11:26, Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc at internode.com.au<mailto:mmc at internode.com.au>> wrote:
The customers change their ADSL login from username at internode.on.net<mailto:username at internode.on.net> to username at ipv6.internode.on.net<mailto:username at ipv6.internode.on.net> on capable CPE and it just works. I'm tempted to get my 88 year old grandfather (who bought himself a Win7 laptop recently) a dual stack CPE just so I can say that it's that easy.

Don't tell Poppy to ring the 13NODE if it doesn't "it just works" for him:

Well, I get called anyway.  So, my risk.  Risk is low.

  1.  it is unsupported (and by that I mean completely unsupported ... the helpdesk would not even open a ticket when I rang up to ask which IOS they would recommend on an 877-M).

It is currently a trial.  It's more than, well, any other top 10 ISP in AU is doing.

  1.  I lost sync over xmas and helpdesk told me to "remove ipv6 from my username because I am on the ipv6 trial" ... even though I had no carrier.

Fairly standard helpdesk stuff.

  1.  The DHCP client on an 877M stuffs up frequently (even with the applet from the config page in it) - Not an Internode issue for sure but I have NFI when Cisco are going to get around to fixing that

I've not had it fail since I added the Event Manager stuff.

I have:

event manager applet MONITOR-IPV6-DHCP-APP
 event syslog pattern "DIALER-6-BIND"
 action 1.0 cli command "clear ipv6 dhcp client Dialer0"
 action 1.1 syslog priority debugging msg "Refreshed IPv6 DHCP PD lease"
event manager applet reset_dhcp
 event timer cron cron-entry "1 * * * *"
 action 1.0 cli command "clear ipv6 dhcp client dialer 0"
!

I have 15.0.1M2.

  1.  My Brisbane DSL traffic goes via Sydney

See my previous email.

  1.  You get no free content over ipv6

Have to be careful here -> none of the unmetered connect is available via IPv6 specifically because our TRIAL

No doubt there are good technical reasons for many/all of the above, but the v6 experience is worse than v4 let alone parity. Banging on about how it is better is not really accurate.

We've actually had good success and small issues only.   The 877 thing is annoying.

However, the trial participants haven't just been using 877s.  Billion's 7800N/NL routers do IPv6 now, so more typical customers are using it just fine.

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs