[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jan 31 13:33:41 EST 2011

In message <4D461478.30100 at bowenvale.co.nz>, Don Gould writes:
> On 31/01/2011 2:34 p.m., Damien Morris wrote:
> > My hope is all the fighting on nanog is just noise and most providers are
> > ready to smoothly transition consumers into v6 using dual-stack, NAT64 or
> > any other of the host of available techniques.
> And there's my point...
>
> Should I be reading up on:-
>
> a. dual stack v6
> b. NAT64
> c. any other of the host of available techniques.
>
> or
>
> d. Just wait and do nothing till I see a trend from enough providers in
> my area to make up my mind what gear I should be looking at?
>
> AU - 600 ISPs?
> AU - v6 ready?  1?
>
> I run a small business, I don't have all day to learn every v6 iteration
> under the sun.

You don't need to learn every interation under the sun initially.

To connect today without your ISP's help you need to tunnel IPv6
inside IPv4.  This can be a point to point tunnel with a tunnel
broker.  Or you can use a multi-point-tunnel and 6to4.  Both of
these give you a dual-stack environment to talk to the world.

When your ISP offers you IPv6 how you connect up will depend on
your and their equipement.  Eventually it will be native IPv6 similar
to how you get IPv4 today with prefix delegation.  However if your
equipment doesn't support IPv6 or all of the ISP's equipment doesn't
yet support IPv6 then the ISP may offer you their own tunnel broker
or 6rd.  Both of these give you a dual stack environment to talk
to the world.

Eventually the ISP will not be able to give you a global IPv4
addresses.  The choices for IPv4 then become NAT 444 (double nat)
and/or DS-lite (distributed nat) and/or NAT64/DNS64.  With DS-lite
and NAT64/DNS64 are designed for the end state where the ISP only
offers you IPv6 however both of these can run over 6rd using not
globally routed IPv4 addresses.  NAT64/DNS64 assumes that you will
be IPv6 only internally.  With NAT444 and DS-lite your will still
point the IPv4 default route at the ISP.

With all of these you should get at least a /56 from the ISP or
tunnel broker.  6to4 will give you a /48.

Mark