[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

Damien Morris damien at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Jan 31 13:17:20 EST 2011

On 31/01/11 12:26 PM, "Matthew Moyle-Croft" <mmc at internode.com.au> wrote:

>They're mostly from people who don't appear to have done it.
>We've got IPv6 dual stack for customers.  We sell ADSL CPE
>which supports IPv6 (and more of our current ones will in the
>next months).

What happens if you run dry of v4 for the dual stack? Is there a future
planned where customers will be v6-only, and how they'll reach v4 content
in that case?

>The customers change their ADSL login from
>username at internode.on.net <mailto:username at internode.on.net> to
>username at ipv6.internode.on.net <mailto:username at ipv6.internode.on.net>
>on capable CPE and it just works. I'm tempted to get my 88 year old
>grandfather (who bought himself a Win7 laptop recently) a dual stack CPE
>just so I can say that it's that easy.
>Most people have dual stack OSes these days so don't even have to do
>anything.

I like that.. I'll try it once I have capable CPE. Have any particular
vendors/models proven themselves in the field to reliably dual-stack or
pure v6?

Do the CPEs dole out world-routable v6 IPs to wired/wireless clients like
they currently do with RFC1918 space? Dual-stack public v6/private v4?

>>e.g: /48s vs /56s vs /64s for consumers, /64s vs /126s for PtP, SLAAC vs
>>DHCPv6, ND vs DoS attacks, DNS64/NAT64 vs "it'll never work"..
>DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation is important.   The subnet size is, well, not
>very relevant, /64 is too small, but anything more is fine for almost
>anyone.
>DHCPv6 hopefully will be supported by more OSes and that'll make life
>pretty
>easy.

/64 is too small because the customer may want to subnet further and we
want to avoid NAT..?

>>Perhaps when it comes to IP it's possible to have too much of a good
>>thing? Or have most people worked it out and it's just the vocal minority
>>on nanog? :)
>Too much noise, not enough doing as usual on NANOG.

:) I suspected, I just thought it would be a lot more settled by this
point. Is Internode's strategy fairly indicative of what we'll see from
the rest of the industry?

Thanks for the reply MMC, I know a lot of this must be getting old to
discuss.

Cheers,
Damien.