[AusNOG] "Egypt Leaves the Internet"

John Lindsay JLindsay at internode.com.au
Fri Jan 28 16:14:04 EST 2011

Last week at PTC I was told by a submarine cable contractor that Egypt is refusing to allow new submarine cables passing through their territory (that's pretty much any cable heading west to Europe) to be brought in to service until Egypt is allowed to tap them.

I wonder if this is more a sign of the paranoia of the Mubarak regime and its treatment of the Egyptian people leading to an uprising or if the uprising has been boosted by countries with a direct interest in getting the cables involved in to service?

The USA has a long track record of destabilising countries in pursuit of their own economic agenda so why shouldn't India for instance start playing the same game?

jsl