[AusNOG] "Egypt Leaves the Internet"

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Fri Jan 28 14:29:03 EST 2011

Interesting read

----
Confirming what a few have reported this evening: in an action unprecedented in Internet history, the Egyptian government appears to have ordered service providers to shut down all international connections to the Internet.

Source http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/01/egypt-leaves-the-internet.shtml
----

----
Different media are reporting that Internet and other forms of electronic communications are being disrupted in Egypt.  Presumably after a government order in response to the protests. I wanted to share some quick observations I made with regards to the reachability of Egyptian networks and providers.

Networks affected
When looking at the data it's clear that many Egyptian networks have fallen off the Internet. Let's start by looking at a quick summary. Yesterday there were 2903 Egyptian networks, originated from 52  ISP's. Transit was provided via 45 unique isp's.
Today at 2am UTC, the numbers look quite different, there were only 327 Egyptian networks left on the Internet. These were originated 26 by ISP's.

Source http://bgpmon.net/blog/?p=450
----