[AusNOG] IANA Allocated last 2 /8's? The IPocalypse is here?

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Jan 20 09:58:27 EST 2011

Hi Skeeve,

On 19 Jan 2011, at 7:08, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> As Greg points out on http://etherealmind.com/the-ipocalypse-is-nigh-bring-it-on/, it seems IANA has allocated the last 2 /8's before there are 5 remaining, with one /8 being issued to each RIR.
>
> Ref: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml
>
> With:
>
> 39/8
> 102/8
> 103/8
> 104/8
> 106/8
> 179/8
> 185/8

That is seven /8s. In other words - no change since November 2010.

> I can't see the announcement on the IANA website that the allocation has happened, or which /8's they are, but perhaps someone else knows here.

When the last /8s are allocated the first thing to change will be the IPv4 address space registry. If you want to be the first to know you are welcome to pull it once an hour and diff it against the previous version. Please don't pull it once a second, like a European ISP once did. It's going to take a while before this lot will hit ISP networks when it is allocated, so the extra few minutes wait should not inconvenience anyone.

We will also be making announcements and even tweets (@theiana) but looking at the actual registry is going to be the fastest way to find out that it has happened.

Regards,

Leo