[AusNOG] Bufferbloat - Queue management vs Buffer filling

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Sun Jan 16 12:02:59 EST 2011

On 16/01/2011, at 2:47 AM, Andrew Cox wrote:
> Bufferbloat is existence of excessively large (bloated) buffers into systems, particularly network communication systems.
>
> What I'm interested to know is if any of you have encountered/investigated this yourself or would care to comment further on the validity/relevance of such in an ISP environment approaching NBN speeds.

One of the places I have seen this occur is where there is some kind of peering standoff between major carriers. The link is congested, but the dance of peering politics has not yet resulted in a link upgrade for whatever reason.

It's hard to see it becoming relevant on most switched NBN networks. The likely risk will occur where some smaller players use Linux routers to terminate NBN connections, which will have gobs of memory and 64 bit architectures that can handle and auto-tune big buffers to treat every packet as sacred - all while re-arranging other application memory to swap space.

John