[AusNOG] Bris CBD to lose power 7:00am tomorrow

Nathan Brookfield Nathan.Brookfield at oneprovider.com.au
Wed Jan 12 01:24:42 EST 2011

This appears to be correct, The Media Release has been revised as below:

11th of Jan 2011
ENERGEX on standby to switch off some of Brisbane CBD – REVISED

ENERGEX has revised its Brisbane flood response and crews are on standby to switch electricity off to some low lying areas of Brisbane from 8:30 tomorrow morning (12 Jan 2011) for safety reasons.

This area is identified by Brisbane City Council flood mapping along the Brisbane River and its tributaries.

CBD areas will be shut down progressively as floodwaters rise. ENERGEX says the decision to shut power off is never taken lightly and is only undertaken as a safety precaution.

The outages could impact approximately 100,000 customers with restoration times dependent on the rate that floodwaters recede and the amount of possible damage caused to electrical equipment.

Similar safety plans were implemented by ENERGEX earlier this week in Gympie.

This evening just after 11pm ENERGEX also commenced the de-energisation of parts of Ipswich CBD in preparation for flood inundation.

Affected areas will be re-energised on a case-by-case basis and only if it is safe to do so. Some areas could be without power for extended periods.

More information about flood prone areas can be found on the Brisbane City Council and Ipswich City Council websites.

ENERGEX is also urging people with medical conditions that rely on electrical-powered equipment, as well as refrigerated medications, to keep in close contact with their medical practitioner and seek advice.

ENERGEX is also asking any customers who see damaged or threatened power infrastructure to stay well clear and to call ENERGEX’s priority line on 13 19 62.

The public is also being urged to keep out of flood waters near any electrical equipment and stay away from fallen powerlines.

Kindest Regards,
Nathan Brookfield

Network Operations
Servers Australia Pty Ltd

Network Ops:       (02) 9037 4343
Web:                      http://www.serversaustralia.com.au
Office Address:    2/2 Teamster Close, Tuggerah NSW 2259