[AusNOG] iiNet / AFACT appeal dismissed

Damien Morris damien at yahoo-inc.com
Sun Feb 27 17:31:08 EST 2011

On 24/02/11 3:14 PM, "David Hughes" <david at hughes.com.au> wrote:

>http://www.itnews.com.au/News/249187,breaking-iinet-victorious-as-film-ind
>ustry-appeal-dismissed.aspx
>
>Congratulations to all involved.   Chalk one up for common senses,
>although some of the language used in the judgement is a little
>concerning.

Is it sacrilegious to predict/hope these cases will actually dwindle and
disappear over the years as the content producing houses catch up with
modern business models (e.g. The iTunes model) rather than engage in FUD
over whether AFACT or the MPAA et al will continue attempting to turn the
screws?

I know I'm not suggesting anything new or groundbreaking here, but my gut
feel is that once copyright holders feel that they're getting their cut
they're not going to devote resources to litigations anymore and this
outcome could be the most likely.

Thanks,
Damien.