[AusNOG] "Sewer broadband provider dumped" - Brisbane fibre plan scrapped

Damien Morris damien at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Feb 23 13:03:06 EST 2011

On 23/02/11 12:33 PM, "Bevan Slattery" <Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com<mailto:Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com>> wrote:

Even predicted 4G/LTE which NBN was incapable of delivering guaranteed 12Mb/s.  Which by the way they are no longer providing.  It’s now “up to” 12Mb/s without portability.  That does sound appealing!

Sadly, I was wrong about the NBN legislation getting through without a business case.  Regrettably this, and the associated “Cherry Picker” [read anti-competitive] bill will ensure the industry is screwed so hard into a monopoly submission with ridiculous bit-taxed (AGVC type fees) that the NBN is now economically and structurally worse than what we have now (in metro areas at least).  Sure it’s technically superior and the Lemmings love it, right up to the point they (then the tax payer) will have to pay for it.

As opposed to paying Private Vendor X's backhaul costs instead of NBNco's AGVC? I hate to use the term 'scaremongering', but..

If either option was chosen then there would be cries and accusations of anti-competitive practices. Do you see a way clear with a public/private split that could avoid the industry "screwed hard into a monopoly submission"..?

Thanks,
Damien.