[AusNOG] Trouble in Paradise - A customer's problem with Bigpond mail relay ( I think)

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Feb 11 04:36:26 EST 2011

Michael,

On 10/02/2011, at 2:03 PM, Michael Kearey wrote:

> SMPT server I look after successfully relayed mail to bigpond      relay=extmail.bigpond.com[61.9.168.122],
>
> My SMPT server received the usual ACK message from the relay and we cleared our queue. Customer / recipient continues to receive an apparently constant stream of the same email , and immediately complains to us. The issue appears to be the customer email client or Bigpond itself.
>
> Anyone from Bigpond able to contact me off list regarding this issue?  I can provide full details, headers etc.

Often times this issue is POP3-related.. get them to login to webmail and clear out their mailbox.

Alternatively if they have "leave messages on server" turned on, turn it off.

To confirm if it is pop3 related, in the clients mail client, check the headers of 2 messages, and see if they are identical or not.. if it was being repeated usually there would be another hop in the header that changed timestamp.

Might help.

Regards,
Trent