[AusNOG] Final /8 allocated to APNIC from IANA (103/8)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 4 15:46:07 EST 2011

In message <52B999AB7637FA4FBE6D3A1F0B138FC20CECE2C97B at EXNSW-MBX05.nexus.csiro.
au>, John.Gibbins at csiro.au writes:

> If it costs money to keep them and they are no longer needed, I expect they
> will be handed back.  Whether they will no longer be needed in five years
> time is the big question.
>
> If we returned all of our IPv4 addresses, it would drop out APNIC fees by a
> bout 90%.  Unfortunately due to the logarithmic charging scheme, we would h
> ave to return a very large percentage to make significant reductions in cos
> t. I can't see that happening within 5 years.  It would take us that long t
> o migrate systems off IPv4 after we decided that no one else on the Interne
> t was only on v4.  Maybe in 10 years...

You don't need to move the systems off IPv4 to hand back the address.
A LSN and rfc 1918 address would get you there with minimal work,
however thats all extra costs.

If/when you return 130.155/16 let me know, I got it back in '88 for DMS
as it was at the time.  I presume it is still covering most of CSIRO in NSW.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org