[AusNOG] IPocalypse now (?)

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Fri Feb 4 01:08:52 EST 2011

narellec at gmail.com
<mailto:ausnog%40lists.ausnog.net?Subject=%5BAusNOG%5D%20IPocalypse%20now%20%28%3F%29&In-Reply-To=4D475C7C.6090808%40swin.edu.au>wrote:

"... until all of a sudden one brave soul charges off across the

beach. After a gap of time another heads out, then another. After
these few lonesome souls have braved their fears, the whole crowd
moves almost as a swarm.

I think the penguins are moving."

Narelle, I think that there is a lot of truth to your very eloquently described analogy.

It is for this reason that forecasts of future IPv6 adoption rates based upon the behaviour of the
heavily observed to-date reticent penguins will prove to be wrong.

There are many commentators out there making statements re rates of IPv6 adoption that remind me of the sorts
of statements that Gerry Harvey made 10 years ago regarding the likely success of online retail sale business
models. Just as Mr Harvey wasted 10 years of opportunity by not learning how to use the technology and refine
his business models to suit, so will the firms that listen to such industry pundits lose their opportunity.

The business opportunities presented by IPv6 are there for those with the vision and the determination to
realise them. And they are there now.

When they voice their complaints regarding the unfair advantage held by the early adopters, I will have as much
sympathy for them as I do for Mr Harvey.

Regards

Kevin
e: kevin at ipv6now.com.au
w: http://ipv6now.com.au