[AusNOG] squid peering mesh

Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net
Thu Feb 3 13:37:26 EST 2011

Love varnish. We actually sit varnish in front of squid, with an aim to
remove squid completely. Main advantages other than speed is more control
and manipulation, ability to add headers, redirect incoming users, split
content on backends - dymanic pages from one backend, static content from
another.

New version coming has some nice features like better ESI support, also
GZIP support. Even if the client doesn't accept gzip it can still gzip
content from the backend (useful if there is distance / limits between
your backend servers) before unzipping it and sending to the client.

Varnish also has some neat debugging / logging tools - Can use replay to
capture live traffic and replay against the server, so ability to repeat
real world tests in a controlled way.

Lot more, but those are the main ways we use Varnish which we can't get
from squid.

Cheers
Nick