[AusNOG] Qld and cyclone

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 23:24:29 EST 2011

Hi James,

--- On Wed, 2/2/11, James Troy <jamest at pageuppeople.com> wrote:

> Anyone aware of how this may impact
> infrastructure? Its too far north
> for intercapitol bit beyond that I'm in the dark

No specifics, but generically:

- loss of power, so routers, switches, dslams and anything else powered will go down after UPS and/or generator runs out. Don't expect anyone to be running out to start a genset that has failed to start until tomorrow morning
- potential for flooding, so damage to anything that is in low-lying areas
- large potential for damage to any overhead cables (power or telco) due to flying objects (eg. roofs that have lifted off houses)

I'm guessing all the buildings where anything network related is housed should be ok as they would be fairly sturdy concrete/brick type construction.

Fiber that travels up the coast will probably survive unscathed as it will be buried.

We're expecting DSL connections to hopefully come back up tomorrow after Yasi has passed without any real problems once power is restored. Power is the big issue.

There will be line faults and these will be dealt with by the carriers.

Anyone who deals with Telstra might have received a notice that included the following information:

====
Staff working in Telstra offices and the field in North Queensland have been advised not to attend work on Wednesday 2 February and Thursday 3 February 2011, with updates to be provided on Friday. As a result, we will be temporarily closing the National Wholesale Service Centre (NWSC) in Townsville and our contingency plan is that all NWSC calls will be re-routed to our office in Perth.
We anticipate that exchange service areas in the region may be declared Red Zones (‘no-go’ areas for Telstra staff).
Accordingly, current faults in the affected region that are scheduled for field attendance by a technician over the next 2 days will not be attended. This is in order to ensure the safety of our staff.
====

regards,
Tony.