[AusNOG] squid peering mesh

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Feb 1 18:01:27 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011, Julien Goodwin wrote:

> > Which is weird, because the caches I setup and maintain still save 20-30%
> > of HTTP bandwidth without too much hackery. One goes above 30% with some
> > hackery.
>
> That's still the case, but most of the benefit of peering is increasing
> your effective cache size, and even with tens of thousands of users
> hitting them 50GB of cache, trivially servable from a single host these
> days satisfies the vast majority of requests.
>
> So perhaps that was better written "... how little is cacheable in
> comparison to standard server disk sizes"

Right, but in the cache clusters that I've been involved with, we split
out content based on ACLs and CARP, dramatically increasing the cache
size without having to handle pesky ICP. :-)

Things look strangely different when you're suddenly capable of caching
windows updates and video sites across 10+TB of distributed HTTP
caches.

Adrian

- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -