[AusNOG] squid peering mesh

Nathan Ridge ridgey at matilda.net.au
Tue Feb 1 16:31:59 EST 2011

For those that dont have a direct Akamai feed through Equinix though,
like us, we find some weeks we are getting a local feed someone is
injecting into pipe than the next week its coming from an international
singtel path @ 300+ ms.

It may not be a practical thing just thought it might be a worthwhile
thing peering our 3 squid boxes and their 6TB of www data with  other
similar peers, often the latency to most hosts is under 20ms which would
be much lower than other destinations on the web especially
international even with the extra time taken to query between squid
servers and the throughput would certainly be much higher if cached
across pipe ix.

If icp query numerous hosts proved to take too long possibly periodic
digest updates between peers might be a better way rather than
individual icp requests.

Nathan

On 2/1/2011 2:59 PM, Paul Wallace wrote:
> This is how Akamai works Nathan

*------------------

Nathan Ridge*
*Systems Administrator*

Matilda Internet
*CQNET
*
________________

(Telephone +61 7 4953 0711
(Fax +61 7 4953 0717
29 Gregory Street, Mackay, QLD 4740, Australia
* Email ridgey at matilda.net.au
<mailto:ridgey at matilda.net.au>Website www.matilda.net.au
<http://www.matilda.net.au/>
<http://www.matilda.net.au/>

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed.  If you are not the recipient be advised that you have
received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing copying or use of the contents contained in this
e-mail and any file attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this email in error please immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by reply email to the sender.  You must destroy the
original transmission and its contents.  It is recommended that you
virus test the information and any attachments.  Matilda Internet does
not accept liability for any loss or damage howsoever occurred as a
result of this email transmission or any attachments to it.