[AusNOG] IPocalypse now (?)

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Tue Feb 1 12:52:56 EST 2011

On 01/02/2011, at 9:54 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> IANA runs out today, APNIC will take about 9-12 months to run out.  Once they run out, it will take ISP's a while to run out in Australia – we don't have that many new customers joining the internet.
>
> Then technologies like CGN/LSN will start to be deployed to delay the inevitable.  During this time ISPs will actually start to deploy IPv6 options, but the take-up will be minimal for quite a while.

The one place this does hit much harder is the content / hosting provider space.  It's a bit hard to put Mr Joe Citizen's shiny new internet facing server behind a layer of CGN.  That segment of the industry had better be ferreting away to support v6 in their hosting platforms, networks, OSs, and backoffice systems.  Time is certainly running short.

David