[AusNOG] IPocalypse now (?)

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Tue Feb 1 08:15:22 EST 2011

Mark Smith said:
> I've just quickly popped up from my nuclear fallout shelter in the back
> yard to check if IPv4 addresses have run out, and it seems they have!

No, they haven't. This is one of the few authoritative links:

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml>

Sort by the "Status" column to see all of the unallocated blocks in one
go. Then, and only then, will you know for sure.

The various IPv4 exhaustion meters are based on extrapolating the date
of previous allocations. Given the extremely small number of allocations
left, they are effectively meaningless from now until the time that the
remaining /8s are allocated.