[AusNOG] FREE!!!111 Net Master

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Dec 21 09:43:31 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 08:58:19AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

 > That said I suppose it might be accepting it only on the wifi
 > interface, but OSX doesn't appear to have a per-interface flag
 > for that (not one that shows up in ifconfig anyway).

OSX accepts route advertisements on Ethernet interfaces, but by
default it's disabled on point to point interfaces.

On OSX Leopard and early patch releases of Snow Leopard, you
could turn on the net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv, but you'd get
a kernel panic as soon as the first advertisement arrived.
Which is probably why the setting defaulted to "off" :)

Apple fixed that in later versions of Snow Leopard (I think it
was .5 that had the magic patch), and since then you've been
able to run dual-stack point to point links if you turn on the
sysctl and if the device at the other end does the right kinds
of LCP negotiation (IP6CP needs to come up in PPP).

There's no reason to think iOS wouldn't behave the same way.

  - mark