[AusNOG] fibre path diversity

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 16:29:52 EST 2011

Hi all,

This is just for my own curiosity more than anything and I know there are some people on this list that know about this kind of stuff.

I received a scheduled outage notification from a carrier today that had this in the description of works:

"We are cutting the 96
fibre cable so that we can create a new splice joint to complete diversity to <street address>"

Does this sound like a customer has requested diverse fibre paths to the premises to they are just splicing the fibre somwhere upstream to create the diversity ? This seems slightly strange to me as you would still have a single redundant path upstream of this new splice, which appears to be <200m from the end point.

Again, this isn't a service that we've requested be installed, we just happen to have an existing service that will be disrupted as a result of the above works. Just curious.

Thanks,
Tony.