[AusNOG] FW: women in IT, was -> Useful tools - IPv6 Buddy

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Mon Dec 12 15:20:57 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "hannah commodore" <hannah at tinfoilhat.net>
To: ausnog at ausnog.net
Sent: Monday, 12 December, 2011 12:14:48 PM GMT +10:00 Brisbane
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] FW: Useful tools - IPv6 Buddy

>On 12/12/2011, at 12:35, Glen Turner <gdt at gdt.id.au> wrote:
>
>> If you wonder why there are so few women in this industry, consider their representative sample of network >engineers.
>>
>> Since I don't support sexist advertising I won't get one.
>
> +1

I asked a mate who's IT Manager for a High School campus, she said no matter how big the incentives are for a particular job, people won't apply for something they're not interested in. In her case, she loves IT even though her mates think "omg, why are you doing that, soooo geeky!!", all her workmates support her in her job and I say good on her for doing what she enjoys!!

I don't care what sex, background or religion someone has, if they can do the job, employ them, but don't hire someone "just to fill your percentage requirement"

On the other hand her husband is a midwife, and while he doesn't get many sexist comments at work, the overall body language and inference is often very negative.

Food for thought.