[AusNOG] Residential Optus DOCSIS 3.0

Nicholas Meredith nicholas at udhaonline.net
Wed Aug 17 14:08:21 EST 2011

Hi All,

I've been meaning to check up on Optus Net's DOCSIS 3.0 availablity,
and before I ever got around to it I recieved an email a few days ago
about new upgrade options to cable services. I'm just wondering what
is known about this DOCSIS 3.0 offering from Optus in QLD now? Speeds
offered will allegedly be capped at 100/2Mbps - how many bonded
channels up and down will be used? And what thoughput on the backend
will each CMTS have available? I guess it would vary according to the
demands of any particular region. Can anybody at Optus provide a small
routed subnet rather than a random dhcp provided IP? Does anybody else
think this speed offering is enough to compete against the initial NBN
plans that are becoming available? I don't think it's quite enough,
the upload rate seems almost insultingly low; considering ADSL 2+ has
had 1 or 2Mbps capability for years, and I'm not even going to mention
SHDSL. Can 2Mbps really be the best the service can deliver? Surely if
residential DSL can do it then they can figure out cost-effective
backhaul for cable solutions as well.

Thanks,

Nicholas Meredith
nicholas at udhaonline.net
(This ASCII-formatted email and signature brought to you by the letter
'C' - for Common sense and Courtesy of the list charter rules)