[AusNOG] IPv6 Addressing

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Thu Apr 7 08:21:57 EST 2011

We all agree that the numbers involved with IPv6 are huge.  It is conceivable that with wasteful allocation policies it would be possible to run out.  This can be compared with the old A-Class allocations.  There were good reasons at the time for allocating blocks based on classes but this was phased out as technology improved.

I think a key point with IPv6 is that most of the addresses are reserved.  All current routable unicast addresses are in the 2000::/3 block (1/8th of the address space).  Multicast and local addresses are in the f000::/4 block, even with a few other minor reservations that still leaves over 3/4 of the total address space free to be allocated more efficiently in future if we ever get to that stage.

Internally we do something similar with our allocation.  We reserved the top 4 bits of our /32 so we can implement a different allocation policy in future (probably never, but who can predict).  In the mean time we happily allocate /64s to all networks including point to point links and even single loopback addresses on routers.

Regards
johng
PS My email address is accessible via IPv6!
--
John Gibbins
IT Security Operations (and IPv6 Evangelist)