[AusNOG] 700Mbps over copper pair...over 400 metres

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Sep 23 13:36:00 EST 2010

On 23/09/2010, at 11:12 AM, Julien Goodwin wrote:

> They claim they've addressed crosstalk to go from 100Mb (so presumably
> VDSL2) to 175. Then they do bonding, so not really anything special.
>
> But I still wonder about crosstalk concerns, which was always the claim
> as to why ADSL2 (and fast ADSL1) took so long to get approved, and why
> VDSL (still?) hasn't.

VDSL2 hasn't been approved for deployment because of non-technical reasons which were dressed up as technical issues.

> I'm sure the DSL carriers here would know the actual (by way of TDR)
> average pair length in use in Australia, and could probably show just
> why this is or isn't worth pursuing.

The "average" attenuation is sufficient that VDSL2 from the exchange, along with issues around interference mean it's not very practical.  VDSL2 is a "cabinet" technology - ie.  FTTN style of thing where you place the active equipment within 1km or so of a house.

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs