[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Roland Chan roland at chan.id.au
Tue Sep 21 16:45:43 EST 2010

>From what I can see most of the security vendors have been focussing
on endpoint security, and have succeeded to the extent Conficker owns
a lot of our customers. That is: not very much at all.

The network or "cloud" or whatever want to call it is part of a total
response. We have to assume that part of the solution will be
compromised and do the ole "defence in depth" thing. You can't stop a
phish if the customer's equipment is toast. The network operator has a
part to play in that.

I agree with your quote from Spaf, but the point I see is that
something like SSL is an endpoint measure, not a network measure. The
end points are assuming they are secure and the network is not. We
also need to assume the opposite and design accordingly and I don't
see a way to deal with end point compromise that doesn't involve the
network operators assets.