[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Sep 21 10:49:09 EST 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 7:33 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> The way I was taught, one of the first and most important prerequisites in formulating a countermeasure is a risk analysis.

>From the AusNOG-04 presentation, which it seems you neither heard/saw nor've read:

"Development of a formalized NBN Threat Model, to be updated as a 'living document'"

If you're interested in reading the actual presentation, it can be found here:

<https://files.me.com/roland.dobbins/j0a4sk>

> It is not even remotely realistic to suggest that a medical procedure could be so radically impaired by consumer NBN activity that someone could die on an operating table due to DDoS.

You keep focusing on this one set off off-the-cuff remarks out of a whole, long, substantive thread, as if they're the substance of the issue under discussion - hen they're a side-show.

You've failed to respond to substantive points/questions raised on the actual topic at hand, you use disparaging, dismissive, and insulting language towards those with whom you disagree, and again, it appears that you neither saw/heard nor read the relevant AusNOG-04 presentation, nor evince any interest in doing so.

One perhaps couldn't be blamed for reaching the conclusion that your mind is already made up on this topic, and that you believe anyone who disagrees with you to be a dolt, a villain, or both.

You're entitled to your views, of course, but note that a) it's quite possible to disagree with people without demonizing them, and b) some of the people you're keen to tar as being somehow over-the-top have long-established reputations in this industry for being otherwise.

> I suggest that everyone tone it down a notch.

It's a wise man who listens to his own advice.

;>

 	       Sell your computer and buy a guitar.