[AusNOG] PPC-1 Experience?

Chris Pollock Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com
Tue Sep 21 10:09:00 EST 2010

Hi Sam,

(I'll preface this with a disclaimer that I'm not in Sales nor do I work
for PIPE International..)

SCC is fully protected - two parallel paths that go via a different
first hop, then both land at Hawaii, then both travel to the US on
separate paths from there.  The paths can be jumped between at these
points also.  It's also very expensive.

AJC is not fully protected, but it has protected landings.  At each end,
it hits a branching unit that splits the cable off into two landings
into the country.  People will tell you it's protected, but a break at
sea still means total disconnection.

PPC-1 is unprotected and has a single path from Australi to Guam, no
branching units or dual paths.  That said, there's all the usual
redundancy you'd expect built into the network, but the cable system
itself is classified unprotected.

As for latency, PPC-1 is 65ms to Guam and ironically, is faster than AJC
to Japan - 101ms.  This is because AJC takes a wider path out around the
Solomon Islands and PPC-1 takes a much more direct route to guam.

PPC-1 is slower than SCC to the US (obviously) because SCC goes straight
there, but it's also hugely cheaper.  You can connect directly to US
transit in Guam.

HTH.

--
Chris Pollock
Technical & Install Manager

PPC-1 is now live!
6900 km, 20 Months, 2.56 Tbps, 12.5 kilovolts, $200 Million and 100%
Australian Owned.
http://www.pipeinternational.com

Mobile :  +61 4 1074 7765
Phone :  +61 7 3233 9813