[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Sep 20 17:55:17 EST 2010

  On 20/09/2010 5:32 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
>> What should be the sanction for RSPs that promise to comply with such a code of behaviour, but fail to do
>> so effectively at crunch-time?
>
> Disconnection, pour encourager les autres.

Then formulation of this Code of Practice, the timeframe limits for responses and
activity, and setting up the infrastructure for review and ratify the decision to
disconnect that can act in a timely manner will be a very interesting process!
Taking an entire ISP, and their other  units/tens/hundreds of thousands of customers
off the air because they failed to adequately rate-limit Aunty Mavis's compromised PVR
is not a decision I'd want to see in the hands of a random NBNCo or CERT NOC operator
(without meaning any disrespect to all the NOC operators on the list) :-)

P.

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355